Massachusetts Credit Card & Personal Finance Statistics
Massachusetts Credit Card Debt
- Credit Card Debt: MA vs. U.S.
- Massachusetts residents have average credit card debt of $5,142. 
- The average credit card debt amount in Massachusetts is
4% greater than the national average of $4,965.
- MA ranks 16th in the nation in average credit card debt. 
Credit Card Delinquency in MA
- Cardholders that are more than 90 days late on credit card payments in Massachusetts 
- Massachusetts ranks 16th in the nation with a credit card delinquency rate that
is 9% greater than the national average of 0.57%.
- Massachusetts Rate: 0.62%
- National Average: 0.57%
- Statute of limitations for credit card debt in Massachusetts 
- Massachusetts: 6 years
- U.S. Average: 5.4 years
Massachusetts Credit Scores
- Credit Scores: MA vs. U.S.
- Massachusetts residents have an average credit score of 714. 
- The average credit score for Massachusetts residents is
3% greater than the national average score of 696.
- MA ranks 11th in the nation in average credit score. 
Income Breakdown in Massachusetts
The state of Massachusetts has a median household income is $71,021. Approximately 12 percent of households in MA have incomes below the poverty level. 
Household Income: Massachusetts vs. U.S.
The median household income in the state of Massachusetts is approximately 22 percent more than the median income for the United States in its entirety.
For the nation as a whole, the median household income is $58,283, versus the Massachusetts median household income of $71,021. 
Age Breakdown in Massachusetts
In Massachusetts, just under 78 percent of state residents meet the minimum age requirement to own a credit card in their own name without a co-signer.  
Additional information about Massachusetts
The state of Massachusetts has a population of approximately 6,547,629, ranking 16th in the nation. 
More about Massachusetts Credit Cards
For more information about Massachusetts credit cards, or for additional resources regarding credit cards overall, visit Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
Did you know?
Iowa residents had the lowest average credit card debt in the nation in 2013, at $3,885 per cardholder.
1. ^ The Washington Post
2. ^ TransUnion
3. ^ Equifax
4. ^ Massachusetts State Legislature
5. ^ United States Census Bureau
6. ^ U.S. Federal Reserve