South Dakota Credit Card & Personal Finance Statistics
South Dakota Credit Card Debt
- Credit Card Debt: SD vs. U.S.
- South Dakota residents have average credit card debt of $4,236. 
- The average credit card debt amount in South Dakota is
15% less than the national average of $4,965.
- SD ranks 49th in the nation in average credit card debt. 
Credit Card Delinquency in SD
- Cardholders that are more than 90 days late on credit card payments in South Dakota 
- South Dakota ranks 50th in the nation with a credit card delinquency rate that
is 35% less than the national average of 0.57%.
- South Dakota Rate: 0.37%
- National Average: 0.57%
- Statute of limitations for credit card debt in South Dakota 
- South Dakota: 6 years
- U.S. Average: 5.4 years
South Dakota Credit Scores
- Credit Scores: SD vs. U.S.
- South Dakota residents have an average credit score of 718. 
- The average credit score for South Dakota residents is
3% greater than the national average score of 696.
- SD ranks 6th in the nation in average credit score. 
South Dakota Demographics
Income Breakdown in South Dakota
The state of South Dakota has a median household income is $49,193. Approximately 14 percent of households in SD have incomes below the poverty level. 
Household Income: South Dakota vs. U.S.
The median household income in the state of South Dakota is approximately 16 percent less than the median income for the United States in its entirety.
For the nation as a whole, the median household income is $58,283, versus the South Dakota median household income of $49,193. 
Age Breakdown in South Dakota
In South Dakota, just under 72 percent of state residents meet the minimum age requirement to own a credit card in their own name without a co-signer.  
Additional information about South Dakota
About South Dakota
The state of South Dakota has a population of approximately 814,180, ranking 44th in the nation. 
More about South Dakota Credit Cards
For more information about South Dakota credit cards, or for additional resources regarding credit cards overall, visit Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
Did you know?
Iowa residents had the lowest average credit card debt in the nation in 2013, at $3,885 per cardholder.
1. ^ The Washington Post
2. ^ TransUnion
3. ^ Equifax
4. ^ South Dakota State Legislature
5. ^ United States Census Bureau
6. ^ U.S. Federal Reserve